Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mr. Mays

The Giants don't do much winning lately but they do ceremony better than anyone else. The tribute to Willie Mays was fabulous. There certainly wasn't a dry eye around these here parts. Willie became my one enduring sports idol when I was 7 or 8 and to this day remains a direct connection to heaven between my dad and me. My old man taught me many things and learning about Willie was one of the important lessons. That I still get a thrill whenever I see Willie is a sweet testimony to baseball, fathers and sons and Mr. Mays himself. Well done.

Now from the sublime to the ridiculous, the current state of the Giants. What to do. While my heart says sell, sell, sell, my head says listen to your pancreas. That organ offers a reasonable argument for making some trades but not necessarily for minor leaguers. I am not sure I want to see a bunch of non shavers out there on the field next year. I clearly don't want a bunch of aging dollar vacuums either. Ideally, the Giants should have a better mix of fresh faced kids, reliable players in the middle of their career and some crafty older vets. Lavishing a 100 million clams on some guy who is already in his 30's does not seem like the best of ideas. Spreading that dough around to some younger and hungrier vets in their mid to late 20's makes more sense to me. Easier said than done, though.

And who will be the puppet master? Reports this morning indicate that Sabean might be back after all. Those voices that TV reporter back east was hearing may have been drunk. At any rate I suggest close police scrutiny on this journalist. What are those voices going to instruct him to do next?

No comments: