Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Through the Eyes of Children

I have a 7 year old son who thinks I am the smartest, bravest, and yes Virginia, coolest guy on this planet. We play nerf basketball and I can get to the cup on him every time..I dominate the plastic with impunity. Sure, I am 3 feet taller but it's a tough world out there. He is a remarkably cute kid but I have had way more girlfriends. I have more money in my wallet. I get to stay up past 8 o'clock, even on school nights!!! But this kid has the one thing I sadly don't..He is young and with the advent of modern medical science he actually has an outside chance of seeing the Giants win the World Series in his lifetime. I am jealous as hell.

I am dealing with a lot of guilt here. It's bad enough that my birth probably caused the drought. I was born in January of 1955 which apparently caused some sort of rift in the fragile fabric of baseball karma. But, I have also subjected my innocent and blameless children to the accursed wrath of the baseball Gods. I exposed them to the Giants. It's possible that my grown kids no longer believe me to be the smartest, bravest or even coolest guy in the neighborhood anymore. I blame the Giants in general and Brett Tomko in particular for that fall off the pedestal. I just hope they can forgive me one day.

How does a father explain to a child that the Rockies, yes those Rockies, just swept the Giants in SF for the first time ever..What an incredible body blow to the psyche that must be. Next he will be thinking there is no Santa Clause and Big Time Wrestling is fake. Where will the madness end?

I dropped him off at school this morning and he gave me a nice hug to start both our days off right. He is a sweet boy yet I am feeling that odd mixture of horror and pride. He pulled that Giants hat down a little tighter as he ran off to the playground. What have I done?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor guy. I'm a Cubs fan. My son is a Giants fan. Nuff said.