Monday, June 25, 2007

Quest For Fire

The universe has certainly taken a turn toward the surreal when the Padres are a better team than the Yankees. While a two game win streak is much sweeter than a two game losing streak things get tougher tonight. Can the Giants win against a team that doesn't have Miguel Cairo playing first base? I say yes.

Based on nothing more than a hunch and a stubborn belief that the Giants are due a break or two, we may be in for a stretch of at least semi-winning baseball. The starting pitchers had a catastrophic week or so but I am guessing they all haven't suddenly gone bad on us. Though the pen has been a little hashed lately with overuse, they haven't been awful. The offense will never even resemble the timeless efficiency of the US Postal Service but some guys seem to be coming around a bit.

This creates a quandary among the Lunatic Fringe elements (btw, I am running for Secretary/Treasurer this year). Do we want the Giants to win enough that Sabean might be tempted to keep his trusted vets and maybe add a crucial piece like Julio Franco? No, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Still, I am not so jaded that I want the team to lose either. Winning is fun..Losing, not so much.

On the other hand, a fire sale seems like the most cathartic course to chart. Unfortunately, most of the guys we want fired probably won't be. I hate to be an alarmist but we may be looking at pretty much the same cast of aging outcasts next season too. It will be no easy task to find takers for the untakeable though it is a worthy quest. If finally figuring out how to build a World Series winning Giants team out of the dying embers of the last 3 years isn't the noblest of heroic journeys, well, I am afraid I don't know what is. But that is a mountain to climb another day. For now, a few wins would be nice.

2 comments:

johnfromnj said...

dave- If KNBR archives Steve Kline's interview I heard earlier tonight you can hear one player's
"quest for fire". I hope they don't cut him after the things I heard him say. I now love the guy even more than I already did.

Dave said...

I heard a lot of it..It was good..