Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Trade Me or Trade Me!!!

I'm guilty. We're all guilty, man. I want the Giants to win now except for those times when I want them to win a few years from now. I am always quite certain the Giants are just one puzzle piece away from a lovely seascape or an adorable little kitty with big black eyes. But then I am always thinking that if the Giants would just trade away everybody they don't want or need, I could gladly table Valhalla for a couple of rebuilding years. That seems like the sensible plan only mitigated massively by that nagging, niggling little notion that other teams aren't exactly clamoring for players the Giants don't want or need.

Luckily for me, naval gazing this dichotomy is nothing more than an intellectual exercise. While I am not long on intellect or enamored with exercise, my foolproof master plans for Giants domination will never result in implementation. This is surely for the best. Even my hand picked staff of supplicants can't contain their derision at the very thought of me as a GM.

Sabean, on the other hand, is the GM and mostly likely the lamest of lame ducks at that-not personally lame, the goatee and the Patrick James corporate casual gangster shirts are cool- but lame in the sense that his paychecks from Don Mago will be going into witness protection about twenty seconds after the season ends.

Still, Sabean has the job and everything, and I mean everything, good and important in this world is riding on what he does with Matt Morris. Does he trade away a pitcher who helps him win now even though now doesn't seem like a strong contender for reality? Does he trade him for a rental who will inevitably ride the Boras train to LA for a stint with the excrementals first chance he gets? Does he trade him for that mythical, solid, everyday, regular under 30? I am not sure the Giants are even legally allowed to possess such a beast but I am willing to risk relentless prosecution to find out.

No pressure Sabes. The multitudes are down with you, baby. We are just demanding that you make it all better now. Or make it better in 2011.

5 comments:

Kid Fresh said...

With Tim Lincecum on the ropes and Russ Ortiz on the DL, Morris is the glue holding the Giants starting staff together. The Giants are a mediocre, .500 team- capbable of being 5 games over .500 or 5 games under .500 at any given stretch...

Since Morris is signed through next year at "reasonable" rates ($9M), and the staff has been a strengh, why thin out the rotation? I would keep the starting rotation together and concentrate adding a couple of bats and bullpen help this off-season.

Great blog, Reno. Keep up the good work!

Dave said...

I think I would hold onto Morris as well. The young pitchers are spotty and Morris is a nice influence..They could trade him in the offseason or next deadline if need be..Thanks for the nice comment.

kwic said...

Time for Sabean to channel Bill Walsh and extort maximum value for Morris from an actual contender.

One boob of a life vest does little good when you're a thousand miles from shore.

Great writing (you, not me).

Dave said...

Thanks for reading..And thanks for the kind words..

johnfromnj said...

Sadly, Sabean has no experience in trading washed up vets, just acquiring them. When it comes time to move our old dead weight, I'm not sure Sabean will have the first notion how to get anything more than AAAA players in return.